Natural emergencies, including natural disasters, epidemics and pandemics can disrupt and contaminate water supplies.
Hurricanes and Tsunamis can contaminate the public water supply due to the flooding that comes with them. Drinking contaminated water may cause illness. Similarly, earthquakes cause Municipal Water Lines to break, or cross-contaminate with especially harmful sewage. People cannot assume that the water in the affected areas is safe to drink.
Epidemics and Pandemics can affect the water transportation network especially in those locations with dated, inefficient or non-existent infrastructure. During these situations, the First Responders may especially be ill-equipped when water is unavailable.
FACTS ABOUT WATER WHICH CAN AFFECT THE WAY WE LOOK AT NATURAL EMERGENCIES:
- About 90% of all-natural disasters are water-related. Over the period 1995–2015, floods accounted for 43% of all documented natural disasters, affecting 2.3 billion people, killing 157,000 and causing US$662 billion in damage. (UNISDR, 2015)
- Droughts accounted for 5% of natural disasters, affecting 1.1 billion people, killing 22,000, and causing US$100 billion in damage between 1995 and 2015. (UNISDR, 2015)
- For the 68.5 million people who have been forced to flee their homes, accessing safe water services is highly problematic. (UNHCR, 2017)
- 700 million people worldwide could be displaced by intense water scarcity by 2030. (Global Water Institute, 2013)
- Global water demand is rocketing, while many water sources are becoming more polluted.
- Agriculture is getting thirstier, as is industry, manufacturing and energy generation.
- Climate change is making water scarcer and more unpredictable, wreaking havoc and displacing millions of people.
MEGHDOOT EMERGENCY RESPONSE VEHICLE (ERV)
Maithri Aquatech’s ERV is an immediate solution for potable water needs in times of natural disasters or any other emergencies.
Special components like a pleated air filter, ACG filter, Ozonator, Mineral Cartridge and TDS regulator, not only removes the water from any suspended particles in the air but also re-mineralize the water; thus, making it healthy, irrespective of the surrounding air quality.
Maithri Aquatech’s ERV delivers fresh, clean and safe drinking water at the time of emergencies and unpredictable natural disasters. Our custom-fit vehicles transport atmospheric water generator units to any region to provide access to clean and safe drinking water for the people who are in need.
The MEGHDOOT ERV has shown promise and served First Responders and affected communities during the Kerala Floods and COVID-19 National lockdown.